Also, before I get into it...This recipe doesn't make a lot of frosting because I usually don't make a ton of cupcakes at one time. It will probably make enough for about 6 regular sized cupcakes or probably 16 mini cupcakes. So if you know you're going to be making more cupcakes, then double, triple, quadruple, etc.
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick room temperature butter, cubed
1. Place a glass bowl on a boiling pot of water (make a double boiler)
2. Whisk egg whites and sugar together in the glass bowl. Heat until egg mixture is hot to the touch. Remove from heat. **Another way to tell if the egg mixture is ready is to rub the mixture between your fingers, if it feels smooth (not gritty) then it is ready.
3. Continue to whisk the mixture off of the heat until the mixture has thickened and completely cooled.
4. Add butter a little at a time. Keep whisking until the mixture has reached a sturdy consistency.
5. Add whatever flavoring you would like the frosting to be (vanilla, chocolate, coffee, etc.)